[XeTeX] font selection debugging

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 10:01:43 CEST 2008

Hi Vladimir,

On 21/07/2008, at 8:19 AM, Vladimir Volovich wrote:

> \setmainfont[BoldFont=ArTarumianGrqiNor_U BoldItalic,ItalicFont=FMBF
> Notr]{ArTarumianGrqiBardzr_U}

[snip]

> and the lines
>
>          \zf at make@font at shapes[\zf at bf]{/I}
>            {\bfdefault}{\itdefault}{\zf at font@feat\zf at bfit@feat}%
>
> are those which prodiced the \font with name "ArTarumianGrqiNor_U
> BoldItalic/I/ICU"

If you don't explicitly set the BoldItalic font, it tries to guess.
And it uses the Bold font to base its guess around. So when you say
"BoldFont=ArTarumianGrqiNor_U BoldItalic", the reasonable guess for
BoldItalic is "ArTarumianGrqiNor_U BoldItalic/I".

> so i wonder
>
> * if code in fontspec is correct (why is it trying to add "/I"
>   when i explicitly specify the BoldFont name?),

The code you isolated only deals with specifying the BoldItalic font.
If you don't want fontspec to try and guess (and leave the shape
undefined), you can write "BoldItalicFont={}".

> * why the results of \font\x="ArTarumianGrqiNor_U BoldItalic/I/ICU"
>   are different on two PCs

This one I can't help you with :)

Cheers,
Will