[XeTeX] Announcement: POLYGLOSSIA v1.0

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Tue Jul 15 09:50:06 CEST 2008

Dear François,

Here are a few remarks about this release.

First a tiny detail. The Greek title of polyglossia.pdf should be
ΠΟΛΥΓΛΩΣΣΙΑ. The word πολυγλωσσία happens not
to be attested (but is quite well formed) in ancient Greek but the
adjective πολύγλωσσος is, with an omega since it derives
from γλῶσσα.

In testsanskrit.pdf conjuncts are not formed and the vowel i is
misplaced; for instance the second word should look like this:
पारिक्षितः (hoping your mail application will
display this correctly). Maybe it comes from the font you used. There
is for instance this font, which is excellent and free:

http://www.omkarananda-ashram.org/Sanskrit/sanskrit2003.zip

I always had good results with it. You might want to switch to it for
this test file; the output should be correct.

I forgot to tell you that in testsanskrit.tex the following code is
now useless:

\catcode"00A0=\active
\def^^^^00a0{\char32\relax}

It was suggested by Jonathan to display non-breaking spaces, but it
had already become useless with recent versions of XeTeX. Moreover
Polyglossia now adds spaces before punctuation marks. So you might
also want to delete all non-breaking spaces in testsanskrit.tex. You
will find below what the new versions could be.

Best wishes,

Yves