[XeTeX] Bug with Unicode in hyperref PDF bookmarks

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Thu Jan 24 00:04:12 CET 2008

> Perhaps this is some sort of encoding confusion between XeLaTeX/memoir
> and hyperref? Both look suspiciously like a three byte UTF8 sequence.

  Indeed, 0xE2 0x80 0x9C is exactly the UTF-8 sequence for U+201C
(mutatis mutandis for U+201D) ...  which would mean that somehow U+201C
is transformed into its UTF-8 encoding form, and reinterpreted as UCS-2
or UTF-16 by prepending a null byte in front of it.  Hmm ...

> PS: For those like me who are curious what those two Chinese
> characters mean, U+809C 肜 is "sacrifice on two successive days" and
> U+809D 肝 is "liver". Both have 肉 "meat" as the radical. I'm not sure
> what this indicates for my work or for XeTeX, but it seems relatively
> ausipicious.

  Isn't liver the organ of bravery in traditional Chinese medicine?
Seems pretty obvious to me in that case: sacrifices will be conducted on
two consecutive days to punish people for their boldness in suggesting
TeX-related programs could be faulty of misencoding data.  Hmm ... ;-)

	Arthur