[XeTeX] Bug with Unicode in hyperref PDF bookmarks

James Crippen jcrippen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 23:39:43 CET 2008

I'm having a Unicode problem with PDF bookmarks generated by hyperref.
I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.1 on a MacBook Pro, with TeX Live 2007,
XeTeX 0.997, xdvipdfmx 0.4, memoir 1.618, mempatch 4.9, fontspec 1.13,
and hyperref 6.75r.

I have some sections which have titles including the Unicode double
quotation marks " and " in them, U+201C and U+201D. They appear fine
in the output, but they're broken in the PDF bookmarks, instead
appearing as â肜 (U+00E2 U+809C) for U+201C and â肝 (U+00E2 U+809D) for
U+201D. Images from Apple's Preview.app and from Adobe Acrobat are
attached, so it's not an app specific problem. I haven't checked to
see if the problem appears in Windows PDF viewers, but I could if
necessary. Changing them to the proper characters in Acrobat causes no
problems, so I presume it's something wrong somewhere between XeTeX,
hyperref, and xdvipdfmx.

Perhaps this is some sort of encoding confusion between XeLaTeX/memoir
and hyperref? Both look suspiciously like a three byte UTF8 sequence.

Thanks,
James

PS: For those like me who are curious what those two Chinese
characters mean, U+809C 肜 is "sacrifice on two successive days" and
U+809D 肝 is "liver". Both have 肉 "meat" as the radical. I'm not sure
what this indicates for my work or for XeTeX, but it seems relatively
ausipicious.