[XeTeX] Bug in XeTeX 0.997?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Jan 17 12:36:13 CET 2008

Hi Youssef,

> Here is a [snippet] that works of what I was doing just to show you
> (Jonathan :-) ) the utility of the matter. It compiles with both
> pdfTeX and XeTeX 0.996.

I can certainly understand the desire to have these features. My only
comment would be that I think a better approach for use with XeTeX
would be to bypass the macro-level UTF-8 processing of ArabTeX, and
instead handle transliteration directly in terms of the Unicode
characters. But that may be a more extensive change than you want to
attempt at first.

As long as you want to continue processing UTF-8 byte sequences
within TeX macros, however, I assume that setting the input encoding
to "bytes" will allow this to work; please let me know if there are
problems with this.