[XeTeX] zhspacing: definition of font

Yin Dian yindian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:32:02 CET 2008

Hi,

On 1/17/08, Wilfred van Rooijen <wvanrooijen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Yin Dian, all,
>
> OK, I promise, this will be one of my last questions
> :-)). I've commented the \zhfont lines in zhspacing,
> and I can typeset some Japanese horizontally and
> vertically, with ruby and all. The result with ruby is
> not very pretty, so I increase the \baselinestretch a
> bit, and all is well.
>
> I have one remaining question: I put a substantial
> amount of Japanese text in a minipage, and put that
> minipage in a \rotatebox to typeset this vertically.
> The result looks pretty good. BUT.... If I have only
> half a page typeset vertically, the first sentence is
> on the middle of the page instead of on the right hand
> margin. Logical, the rotatebox gets positioned
> according to left-to-right setting. Can I set right to
> left or will that interfere with the vertical
> typesetting? How do I set right to left in my xelatex
> document?

If I take you correctly, you just need an \hfill before the
\rotatebox. It won't interfere with the vertical things in the
minipage inside the rotatebox.

> > There's no need to change the main text font using
> > \fontspec etc.
> > Zhspacing preserves the font for western characters,
> > and uses \zhfont
> > etc only for Chinese.
>
> I am trying to do set some Japanese as well as other
> things in one file (klingon and tengwar :-)) ); I'm
> writing a paper about this, and I'm trying to show a
> bit the possibilities of xetex.

Yes, it's really possible. However, as zhspacing currently doesn't
have special treatment on Japanese kana, which is treated the same as
Chinese characters, you may have some kinsoku problems. Just take
care.

> > When using zhspacing, certain hskips are inserted
> > between Chinese
> > characters, and punctuation prohibitions are
> > concerned; it should
> > generate good result.
>
> With zhspacing the linebreaks are perfect! However,
> there is still this issue of the rotatebox :-)).
>
> Cheers,
> Wilfred

Regards.

-YIN Dian