[XeTeX] Compile XeTeX on Windows

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 16 21:39:06 CET 2008

On 16 Jan 2008, at 7:44 pm, Lobsang Sonam wrote:

> Hi, all:
>
> 	I want to compile a Windows version of my modified XeTeX and
> searched goole, but cannot find any hint on how to compile it.
>
> 	Should I use Cygwin like unix style environment, or just use the
> win32.mak makefile?
> The win32.mak file includes <msvc/subdirs.mak>, I found pointers
> about them on google to other TeX related packages.

I wouldn't expect the win32.mak files in the xetex tree to work as-
is; they're just leftovers from the texlive tree that I started from,
and haven't been updated/modified for xetex at all.

Akira Kakuto builds the xetex binaries used in tex live; see the
W32TeX page for more information. I assume this is done using
customized makefiles and Visual C tools. IIRC, there's a source
archive available there as well as the binaries. So you could look at
this.

Alternatively, I expect it should be possible to use Cygwin, but
there will almost certainly be some configuration adjustments needed;
I don't know if anyone has actually built xetex that way.

Personally, I'd like to have a Linux-hosted (or Mac-hosted) cross-
compilation setup, using the gcc cross-compiler and mingw32. But I
haven't had the time to actually get all this set up and working.