[XeTeX] Bug in XeTeX 0.997?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Jan 15 20:51:50 CET 2008

Hi Youssef,

On 15 Jan 2008, at 12:35 pm, Youssef Jabri wrote:

> Hi Jonathan, Hi everybody,
>
> I am preparing a new version of Arabi that works with both eTeX and
> XeTeX, and things work quite well so far.
> But I noticed that the following code works with eTeX,  XeTeX 0.996
> but fails with version 0.997
>
> \documentclass{article}
> %utf8 is a part of the ArabTeX package which handles unicode by its
> own, it's earlier than the utf8 code used by the inputenc package.
> \usepackage{arabtex,utf8}
> \begin{document}
> bla bla
> \end{document}

I haven't had time to look into this specific case yet, but a general
comment might be useful: xetex handles utf8 natively, and shouldn't
need any macro support for this. In general, macros that attempt to
interpret utf8 will do the *wrong* thing in xetex, because they will
be processing the already-interpreted Unicode values rather than the
raw bytes that make up the utf8 sequences.