[XeTeX] Opentype fonts with vrt2 + linux

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 13 23:12:16 CET 2008

Hi all,

With the kind help of Apostolos Syropoulos I compiled
xetex 0.997 and made the corresponding Xelatex:

rooijen at love206a-rooijen ~/new-xetex $ xetex.new
--version
XeTeX 3.141592-2.2-0.997 (Web2C 7.5.6)

Compiled with ICU version 3.6 [with modifications for
XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.3.5; using 2.3.5
Compiled with fontconfig version 2.5.0; using 2.5.0
Compiled with libpng version 1.2.15; using 1.2.15
Compiled with xpdf version 3.01

I've tried the following input, but to no avail:

\documentclass[]{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{graphicx}

\begin{document}

\fontspec[Mapping=tex-text]{Kozuka Mincho Pro-VI R}

This is English.
これは日本語です。

\fontspec[Script=CJK,Vertical=RotatedGlyphs]{Kozuka
Mincho Pro-VI}

\rotatebox{-90}{This is English.
これは日本語です。
}

\begin{minipage}{\textwidth}
\flushright Hello World!
\flushleft Hello World!
\end{minipage}

\end{document}

I've attached the resulting PDF. Note the following:
the Japanese characters are not rotated. The latin
characters are rotated, but I think they are rotated
the wrong way round, and that's why the 'English'
sentence ends up upside down.

If you need more verbose output and/or debugging info,
just let me know.

I admit that building xetex from source is actually a
lot simpler than I thought - I've through more
complicated build & compile experiences before.

Apostolos suggested that I make a linux binary
available of the latest xetex from SVN. I am willing
to do that, if somebody is willing to take some time
and explain what it would involve.

I work on a gentoo system with the latest 'stable'
software on it, and I'm glad to be of service.

Cheers,
Wilfred