[XeTeX] XeTeX + fontspec + sazanami = no output (?)

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 14:05:01 CET 2008

Hello!

> The font must have been installed where fontspec
> could find it,
> otherwise there would be errors from xelatex. But
> the OP reported:

All my personal fonts are in $HOME/.fonts/ and I've
run fc-cache -fv. The problem only arises for some
specific fonts, not just sazanami but also for some
Bitstream fonts.

> The xelatex run finished without complaint, so it
> must have found the
> font; but xdvipdfmx failed for some reason, and
> deleted the (bad) PDF
> file it was trying to create. (The next version of
> xetex will give a
> better error message in this situation, as the
> transcript above is
> quite confusing.)

I found a similar pointer on the ConTeXt website.

> This might be due to a problem in the Mincho font;
> or it might be a
> bug in xdvipdfmx; or it might be due to an old
> version of fontconfig.
> I've seen a number of cases where older fontconfig
> libraries lead to
> failures.
>
> For this reason, it would be interesting to see the
> output of
>
>    xetex -version

rooijen at love206a-rooijen ~ $ xetex -version
XeTeX 3.141592-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 SIL International.
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software
is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and
others.

Compiled with ICU version 3.4 [with modifications for
XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.2.1; using 2.2.1
Compiled with fontconfig version 2.2.1; using 2.4.2
Compiled with libpng version 1.2.15; using 1.2.15
Compiled with xpdf version 3.01

I've installed xetex as part of texlive 2007. As you
can see xetex was compiled with a different fontconfig
than is provided on my system. I can try to install
the latest xetex from source. I am on gentoo linux,
but I prefer to use stable packages only, thus
fontconfig 2.5 is not yet on my system.

Thanks for the info,
Wilfred