[XeTeX] polyglossia becoming reality...

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Thu Jan 10 11:34:41 CET 2008

> (/Users/ycodet/Library/texmf/tex/xelatex/polyglossia/polyglossia.sty)
> (/Users/ycodet/Library/texmf/tex/xelatex/polyglossia/gloss-french.ldf)
> (/Users/ycodet/Library/texmf/tex/xelatex/polyglossia/gloss-greek.ldf)
> (./essai.aux
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \noextras at greek ...k at numbers \nogreek at punctuation
>                                                    \nogreek at stigma
> l.10 \select at language {french}

The file gloss-greek.ldf I included in the zip file was unfortunately
buggy (and a few other ones as well).  Now I have a new version which
allows to select between monotonic, polytonic and ancient greek. Get the
new version from http://ankabut.net/xetex/polyglossia.zip and try the
following test file:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
\usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\background{french}
\load[variant=ancient]{greek} % <-- note the change
\setmainfont{Linux Libertine} % or Gentium
%\newfontfamily\greekfont[Script=Greek]{Lucida Grande}

\begin{document}

\begin{greek}
Μῆνιν ἄειδε, θεά...
\end{greek}

Chante, Muse, la colère...

\end{document}

The new zip file also contains another test file (test1.tex) with many
languages, including modern and ancient greek, so you might try it as well.

By the way: when trying test1.tex I have encountered two problems I
cannot solve:

* The command \today in Latvian does not print the year. I don't
understand why.

* I had to comment out \local at hyphenmins{russian}{2}{2} from
gloss-russian.ldf, otherwise the number 22 would be printed at the
beginning of the russian environment (and before the date). Again I find
this very puzzling, because this does not occur with other languages.

Any help appreciated on these!

François