[XeTeX] Fontspec question

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Jan 8 20:36:00 CET 2008

Hello David,

On 09/01/2008, at 5:21 AM, David Denton wrote:

> Thanks to Ross and Will. The LaTex grouping is just what I needed.
>
> I am having another problem. I am surely doing something basic
> wrong related to the encoding packages.
>
> \documentclass[12pt,twoside]{book} %
> \includeonly{chap_1}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \usepackage[EU1]{fontenc}
> %\usepackage{lmodern}
> %\usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[english]{babel}
>  \usepackage{setspace}
>  \usepackage{titlesec}
>  \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{LMRoman12}
> \newfontfamily\creefont{BJCree UNI}

First get rid of  fontenc  and  babel .
These are (to a large extent) redundant with  XeTeX as the engine:
Since you may be using older TeX input-conventions, load  xunicode .
viz.

\documentclass[12pt,twoside]{book} %
\includeonly{chap_1}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
%\usepackage[english]{babel}
\usepackage{setspace}
\usepackage{titlesec}

\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{LMRoman12}
\newfontfamily\creefont{BJCree UNI}

If you are missing something that Babel gave you,
then maybe it is OK to load it, as you are only using English.
But first try without it, as it may still be doing unnecessary
stuff (e.g., with active characters).

> Above is a portion of my preamble. When I compile under XeTeX there
> seems to be a problem with my closing quotation marks (they appear as
> open quotes).

What key sequences are you using?
There are many different characters that you could be using,
so no-one can help you unless we know exactly what you are doing.

Please give explicit examples of your input, and copy/paste
some output into a mail message, or include a picture.

> Another oddity: all number nines in the text are set
> below the line.

Hmm.  Will is the expert on this.
Which font?  LMR or Cree ?

In any case, it would be good to see a picture.
Your PDF browser should let you select a region, and copy it
as an image (e.g, in .png format) for inclusion in emails
--- don't make it too large, as there is a size-restriction
on attachments to messages for this email list.

> When I comment out \setmainfont, of course I do not
> get the mapping of the quotes and dashes.
>
> My problem is surely the installed LMRoman font, but I honestly do not
> know how to set the [Mapping=tex-text] without using the \setmainfont
> command. Any help would be appreciated.

> --
> Best regards,
>  David