[XeTeX] Polytonic greek and XeLaTeX

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 01:11:14 CET 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 12:35 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 02.01.2008 um 22:57 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
> > If I write Ux63 (c) + Ux030C (caron): do I get the ccaron (in a badly
> > designed font with ccaron included, but with no smart features) or a
> > caron placed over c?
>
> I think what you get is from an expanded version of the TeX command \v
> {}. With expanded I mean that it is contained in xunicode.sty. And
> the product might look bad and it probably won't be found when you
> search for haček or Dvořák or Čapek ... Bože!

Hmmm ... ConTeXt actually replaces \v c by č automatically if that's
the case (but I cannot believe that it really works that way, using
\v).
If I run "pdftotext -enc UTF-8" I also get a proper č or š, but ǎ
remains a+combining caron, and most other characters retain a
combining accent behind them as well (in contrast to pdfTeX where one
can get just anything out of the (non-)combining accents).

(Preview.app doesn't handle accents by copy-pasting anyway, but
searching works OK, even searching for ǎ works.)

Mojca