[XeTeX] Polytonic greek and XeLaTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Jan 2 05:09:11 CET 2008

Hi Peter (and others interested in this thread).

On 01/01/2008, at 9:41 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 31.12.2007 um 01:13 schrieb Johannes Engel:
>
>> This one is a composed one: Ὀ (i.e. a capital Omicron and a
>> psili),
>> this one is a prepared one: Ὀ (i.e. one letter Omicron with psili).
>

> I think the problem is the so-called composed character: it is indeed
> two characters (as seen in some editors), a capital Omicron and a
> psili. Could this be handled by xunicode.sty?

No, not really. That would require making some characters *active*,
then looking at what comes next, to be able to decide what to do.
This is what Babel does for legacy TeX support of different languages
using 7- (ascii) or 8-bit latin-based encodings. It is an ugly solution,
fraught with all kinds of potential compatibility disasters, which
should no longer be needed with Unicode input.

> It "fixes" already
> composed characters from the Latin script area ...

  xunicode  provides fixes only in the sense of redefining existing
macros to give Unicode output that  XeLaTeX can now work with.

In the situation here there are no macros to be redefined.
Instead we have sequences of Unicode characters; well, a pair of them.
The font is supposed to have support for such pairs, resulting in the
correct glyph being shown.

If this doesn't work with Minion Pro, yet it contains the correct glyph
at a different code-point, then what you want is to specify an
appropriate
*font-mapping* as part of the command used to declare the font.

This way the solution is tied to the font itself, which is ultimately
the reason why there is a problem.
(Jonathan will surely correct me if this is not the right approach.)

You may wish to consider using other fonts for the Greek text.
So here I've been looking at how well this situation is supported
by the GFS fonts, which were announced on this list some weeks ago.

I've attached an appropriate test document...