[XeTeX] Polytonic greek and XeLaTeX

James Crippen jcrippen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 03:08:47 CET 2008

On Dec 31, 2007 12:48 AM, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:
> So the explanation is that your text contained decomposed sequences,
> but Minion Pro doesn't support these. Indeed, looking into the font,
> I see that it lacks the combining marks from the Unicode 03xx block.
> So it will only work with accented Greek (or Latin, for that matter)
> if the data uses precomposed characters.

So should XeTeX try to produce precomposed characters (normalized
form) from decomposed input where possible? Or is this a problem that
the font should be handling?

I'm curious because I use a lot of combining marks in my work, e.g. x̱
and ą́, some of which have precomposed characters standardized and
some of which do not. I was bit by this same problem once before, as
well.

James