[XeTeX] PDF files only sporadically included

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Feb 26 20:58:38 CET 2008

On 26 Feb 2008, at 7:17 pm, Dominic Yu wrote:

> 2008/2/26, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:
>>  Can you provide a (small) example of a PDF that fails?
>
> I sure can! See attached.

Yes, this fails with xdvipdfmx. If you run xetex with the -no-pdf
option, to generate an .xdv file, and then run xdvipdfmx separately
on the resulting file, you'll get some warnings about it:

	** WARNING ** Invalid object label: 14 0
	** WARNING ** Could not find a name object.
	** WARNING ** Could not find a key in dictionary object.
	** WARNING ** Couldn't read xref trailer. Is this a correct PDF file?
	** WARNING ** No trailer.
	** WARNING ** Trailer not found! Corrupt PDF file?
	** WARNING ** pdf: image inclusion failed for "intro21a.pdf".

But I don't know why this is happening; at first glance, anyhow, the
PDF looks ok, and other programs read it successfully. So I guess it
must be an xdvipdfmx bug; I'll try to dig a little deeper.

Using xdv2pdf instead, the PDF appears correctly in the output (but
that may not be a good option if you need other features such as
virtual font support).