[XeTeX] No hyphenation patterns were loaded

Sven Siegmund sven.siegmund at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 11:11:42 CET 2008

Hello,

I need your help to load Czech hyphenation patterns

I use Windows-build of XeTeX 3.141592-2.2-0.997 (MiKTeX 2.7)

My preamble looks like:
\documentclass[a4paper,twopage]{article}
\usepackage[czech]{babel}
\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode,xlxtra,cite,gb4e}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\stemainfont{Adobe Caslon Pro}

I have read this FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=newlang

I altered /miktex/tex/generic/config/language.dat
and removed the comment before the line
czech xu-czhyph.tex

I also altered the /miktex/doc/generic/babel/language.dat
where I added the line
czech xu-czech.tex

Then I started the MiKTeX-Options (Start/Programs/Mitex 2.7/Settings)
In the Languages Tab I ticked the Czech xu-czhyph.tex line
and in the General Tab I clicked on "Update Formats"

But somehow I have the feeling it got not updated because I still get
the error when xelatexing the file:
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang,
nohyphenation, german, ngerman, french, loaded.
Package babel warning: No hyphenation were loaded for
(babel) the language 'Czech'
(babel) I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.

I checked in the Formats-Tab,
there are entries for xelatex and xetex which are set up to be
excluded when updating all format files. Is it relevant to this? What
else have I done wrong?

S.