[XeTeX] Building xdvipdfmx on the Mac (was Re: Incompatibility between footmisc and xltxtra)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Feb 25 13:49:57 CET 2008

Le 19 févr. 08 à 09:57, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> - Compiling xdvipdfmx was kind of a mess on the Mac, last I tried
> <http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2007-April/006316.html>.
> You need libkpathsea which isn't included in MacTeX, and libpng
> which isn't included in Mac OS X. Hence you need to use i-Installer to
> install gwTeX, which does include libkpathsea, and to install libpng.
> Alas, libpng as installed by i-Installer has static libraries only, no
> dynamic libraries. Taking all that into account, invocation of
> configure should be something like:
>
> $ sh configure
>    --with-kpathsea=/usr/local/gwTeX
>    --with-ft2lib=/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a
>    --with-ft2include=/usr/local/include/freetype2
>    --with-pnglib-libdir=/usr/local/lib
>    --with-pnglib-include=/usr/local/include/libpng12
>    --bindir=/usr/texbin
>
> But last I tried it failed. Has this issue been solved, and is there
> now a working procedure to build XeTeX and xdvipdfmx from source on
> the Mac? (Apart from using MacPorts or Fink, which I'm not willing to
> try right now.)

Since we're talking about builds today, just a correction to the
above, regarding Mac builds: last week I tried again to build
xdvipdfmx. It didn't work.

Looking at the configure script closely, it seems the options --with-
pnglib-libdir and --with-pnglib-include don't exist, only a --with-png
option does exist:

Optional Packages:
   --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
   --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-
PACKAGE=no)
   --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld
[default=no]
   --with-pic              try to use only PIC/non-PIC objects
[default=use
                           both]
   --with-tags[=TAGS]      include additional configurations [automatic]
   --with-kpathsea=DIR     use kpathsea include/library files from DIR
   --with-ft2lib=LIB       use freetype2 library LIB
   --with-ft2include=DIR   use freetype2 include files from DIR
   --with-freetype2=DIR    use installed freetype2 include & lib files
from DIR
   --with-fontconfig=DIR   use fontconfig include/library files from DIR
   --with-paper=DIR        use paper include/library files from DIR
   --with-zlib=DIR         use zlib include/library files from DIR
   --with-png=DIR          use png include/library files from DIR

But even after correcting the option when running configure, make
still fails. It seems the png dynamic libraries are absolutely needed.

I looked at MacPorts, but its xdvipdfmx portfile is outdated: it still
requires teTeX instead of TeXLive. Generally the TeX area of MacPorts
is inconsistent <http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=cat&substr=tex>,
with parts built on teTeX and others on TeXLive. (And its XeTeX port
is for version 0.995.)

Personally I'll just forget about all this and wait for the release of
TeXLive-2008.

Bruno Voisin