[XeTeX] OT: TECkit and XML files

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Feb 21 19:08:34 CET 2008

On 21 Feb 2008, at 3:36 pm, Malte Rosenau wrote:

> Sorry, the following is only vaguely related to XeTeX:
>
> I would like to apply a TECkit mapping to an UTF-8 encoded XML
> file. The font mapping used in certain parts of the source file
> uses some of TeX's active characters, so I can't do the conversion
> within XeTeX. Well, I guess I could, but I also want to have a
> transformed version of the source file for various reasons. Has
> anyone here done something like that? Is SFconv the right tool to
> do that?

No, that doesn't sound like the job it was meant for.....

> It seems to be restricted to Unicode-to-8bit translation (or vice
> versa), which would not work in my case (I need Unicode-to-Unicode).

....for this reason, and also because it's not designed to work on
XML documents.

> Do I really have to extract the 8bit data from the XML file, do the
> conversion in a bunch of temporary files and feed the unicode data
> back into the source file? ;-(

If you can extract the relevant fragments of the file into plain text
(UTF-8) files, you can run them through a Unicode->Unicode mapping
using the txtconv tool; no need to go to 8-bit encodings.

There might be other approaches, too; it depends quite what your data
is like, and what transformations you're trying to achieve.