[XeTeX] Nasta'liq fonts

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Feb 21 01:02:00 CET 2008

On 20 Feb 2008, at 10:48 pm, maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> On 20 Feb 2008, at 6:47 pm, maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu wrote:
>>> Does anyone here have experience with Nasta'liq fonts?
>>
>> My experience trying these fonts with XeTeX has been rather mixed;
>> there seem to be some limitations in the ICU OpenType support, so
>> often the glyph positioning doesn't fully work.
>
> So what programs are these fonts intended to work well with?

MS Word and other Uniscribe-based programs on Windows, generally.

>> ...The best results I've seen so far have come
>> with Monotype's OpenType version of Noori
>> Nastaliq, but this is a commercial font rather
>> than freely available.
>
> And I've never been able to get any response from them about it (there
> doesn't seem to be any kind of email link on their website, and
> there's no
> mention of this font on the fonts.com website that their "sales" link
> points to).

If you're interested in pursuing this, email me off-list and I may be
able to put you in touch with someone.

> I'm assuming from your response that XeTeX is able to use this font?

Yes, it works pretty well. You can find an example in the slides I
used when speaking at CS-TUG last November, available online at
<http://www.cstug.cz/aktivity/2007/CSTUG-talk.pdf>. (See the lower
sample on slide 44.)

>> It's also possible that future updates to the OpenType support in
>> XeTeX will improve things....
>
> You wouldn't by chance have, like, a timetable for this...

Haha.... I thought you might ask that. Well, I'm hoping to update the
ICU support to release 3.8.1 shortly, but until that is actually in
place I won't know whether it improves the support for those fonts.
That should be included in the TeX Live 2008 release, but may or may
not help.

I'd also like to have other OpenType engines available, including
Uniscribe (on Windows only, of course) and perhaps Pango and/or
HarfBuzz. But that's a longer-term possibility.

> Tomas Milo (of DecoType) is also working on Nastaliq support, but my
> understanding is that what they are going to produce is not so much
> a font
> as some kind of rendering machine.  But I probably don't understand.

That sounds like the direction I'd expect Tom to take. In theory,
XeTeX could probably be made to interface with his engine, but as
it's likely to be an expensive commercial product, I don't expect to
actually have opportunity to work on that.