[XeTeX] Problems in Arabic typesetting

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 20 21:40:00 CET 2008

Dear Jonathan

Ah, I think that's put me on the right track - many thanks.  The paragraphing was meant to be under the influence of an \everypar earlier declared, but as per your advice I produced a new minimal file with the \beginR etc. specifically inserted in order to show the problem - and then the problem disappeared (or almost - see below)!  I obviously haven't picked up the specifics of how the bidi setting works - and should have started with Hebrew really, which I can at least struggle through haltingly - but I suppose I'll be reasonably au fait by the time I've ploughed through the conference proceedings I'm setting.

However, although I've now got correct PDF output, which is all I really care about, intriguingly the Arabic is still back to front in the Babelpad screen display, as per the PDF I sent before.  I'm presuming there is something in the software or other procedure that the author used to prepare his Word file that has caused this (I'm asking him for details), but I can cope with the bizarreness of what I get on the editing screen as long as the output is right.

I'll proceed with caution and try not to waste people's time unless I find myself in dire straits...

Best

John