[XeTeX] Problems in Arabic typesetting

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 20 17:21:46 CET 2008

Hello

The following shows up correctly in Microsoft Word in a file that was sent to me, and seems to be correct in this email.  But when I try to typeset it in XeTeX by pasting it into a UFT-8 file (using Babelpad as my editor) the words are all transposed - see the attached PDF for the result.

١. قال أبو على~.~.~.  وهو [=أنبادقلس] وأنكساغورس يقولان إن الموجودات واحد وكثير أما كثير فمن قبل المادة وأما واحد فمن قبل أن*** الفاعل الذي يميزها هو واحد وهو العقل

I'm not an Arabist so it's not clear to me what could be going wrong.  To make quite sure that I was not introducing any error in setting up my \arabic command I pasted this quotation into a section of Arabic that I had previously typeset correctly, and everything comes out properly except this new bit of text.

  It may simply be that there is some trick in the saving or copying/pasting that I haven't picked up. Any help much appreciated

John