[XeTeX] png output?

Moritz Angermann moritz.angermann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:54:16 CET 2008

Hi Jonathan,

I've already contacted the author of dvipng though I haven't yet got a reply.
a quick glance at the code one sees references to freetype.

I'll have to study more dvipng code until I have a clear idea abou it.

Thanks for the hints where to find the xdv spec. I have to admit I'm
not very familiar with the dvi format, so I've got quite a bit work to
do.

kindest regards,
 Moritz

On 2/19/08, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:

> On 19 Feb 2008, at 7:35 am, Moritz Angermann wrote:
>
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > The idea to enhence dvipng came to my mind too, though I have no idea
> > where to start and what size that project would take. I'd be glad for
> > any hints.
>
> The first step would be to try contacting the author, I think.
>
> The xetex extensions to DVI format are largely documented in the
> xetex source code; then you can also look at the source of xdv2pdf
> and/or xdvipdfmx to see how the added opcodes are handled there.
> There are only a few of them: an extended font definition code for
> platform-native fonts; an operation to set an array of glyphs with
> positioning information; and the opcode to include a graphic.
>
> Does dvipng use Freetype2 to render PostScript and TrueType fonts? If
> that functionality is already in place, adding xetex support
> shouldn't be very hard, I think. If it's not using FT2, then it'll be
> a bigger extension.
>
> JK
>

> > kindest regards,
> >  Moritz

> >> I don't know of any tool to do this directly (though enhancing dvipng
> >> to support xetex's output would be a possible project if anyone cares
> >> to work on it).
> >>
> >> However, you should be able to generate PNG from PDF with
> >> ImageMagick's "convert" tool or another graphics utility.
> >>
> >> JK

> > --

--------------- One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish ----------------
Moritz Angermann \ moritz.angermann\gmail.com
Barerstraße 35 \ M:+49 (0) 176 24 81 59 42 / H:+49 (0) 89 12 13 83 56
80799 Munich \  http://www.lunatic-bumblebee.com