[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Feb 13 08:13:23 CET 2008

Le 13 févr. 08 à 03:32, Mike Maxwell a écrit :

> Same error msg:
> ------------------
> (/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/upzd.fd)kpathsea: Running
> mktextfm pzdr
> mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
> nonstopmode; input pzdr
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> (Fatal base file error; I'm stymied)
> grep: pzdr.log: No such file or directory
> mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
> input pzdr' failed to make pzdr.tfm.
> ------------------

upzd.fd isn't supposed to be LaTeX'ed, it's a font definition file to
be read while LaTeX'ing documents calling the pzdr font.

> [...]  At any rate, the rest of that
> thread doesn't seem to pertain to my problem.  But maybe the results
> will help y'all help me diagnose the problem.

At this stage, I tend to think the simplest solution would be to
reinstall your TeX system from scratch (erasing ~/.texlive2007/
beforehand). Something's deeply wrong in your system. That pdfTeX
fails referring to a fatal file format error is a sign something's bad
happening. Like trying to make pdfTeX read formats compiled for XeTeX.

In such situations, given we have no idea what's exactly wrong, a
simpler solution is often to reinstall from scratch. Which isn't
guaranteed to fix the problem though.

>> If they still
>> don't work, then it's probably time to re-install MacTeX.
>
> What's MacTex?

It's a TeX distribution for the Mac. Peter did not notice you're on
Linux apparently, given the path in your original message:

>  /usr/share/bin/x86_64-linux/xelatex BengaliGrammar.xetex

>> I didn't install it [dblatex] with Fink,
>
> And what's Fink?

That's a package management system for the Mac, based on apt-get. It
proposes another TeX distribution, often yielding problems for people
who have installed both (Fink and MacTeX) on the same computer at
different times, owing to changes made to ~/.profile and the like
without the user being aware of them. I think that's why Peter's
mentioning it (he's known on the OS X TeX mailing list for being a
dedicated Fink user -- and a purveyor of nice end-of-message
quotations).

Bruno Voisin