[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Tue Feb 12 21:09:49 CET 2008

Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> A simple test file that should produce the same error is
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> \fontfamily{pzd}\fontencoding{U}\selectfont abc
> \end{document}

A more minimal file than my minimal file--I love it!

And I can confirm that this does not work on my Linux machine.  Basically
the same error msg:
----------
(/usr/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/psnfss/upzd.fd)kpathsea: Running mktextfm
pzdr
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
nonstopmode; input pzdr
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf pzdr
! I can't find file `pzdr'.
-----------

> I would suspect a problem with dvipdfm.map, but I don't know exactly how
> xetex searches fonts. So I think that you should at first check if
> everything works with normal tex/pdflatex:

That gives me an immediate error, at least if I'm running it correctly:
---------------
> pdflatex test1.latex
This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

> Run it also with latex and then dvipdfmx -vv test.
> What messages does dvipdfmx give?

I can't do this because I can't seem to get pdflatex to work (see above).
I tried to run the same test with xelatex, using
   xelatex -output-driver='dvipdfmx --vv' test1.xetex
but that gives me the same error msg as without the -output-driver
parameter.  But maybe I'm not doing that right, either...

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD