[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 12 19:35:25 CET 2008

Le 12 févr. 08 à 16:29, maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu a écrit :

> Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>>
>> Sorry, I meant type in
>>
>> kpsewhich psfonts.map
>>
>> to find out which psfonts.map is used (should be /usr/share/texmf-
>> var/
>> fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map probably), then open this file and
>> see whether it contains a line for pzdr.
>
> The file it's using is
>  ~/.texlive2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
> which is a link to psfonts_t1.map in the same dir.  I guess the reason
> it's a link is must be so I can substitute psfonts_pk.map for
> psfonts_t1.map.  No idea where these came from--I didn't set it up
> like
> that (I'm not that smart :-)).
>
> Both psfonts_t1.map and psfonts_pk.map have the ff. line for pzdr:
>  pzdr ZapfDingbats

Says dvips doesn't know which PostScript font file to associate with
the metrics pzdr.tfm.

>> Same for pdftex.map
>
> ...also under a subdir of ~, with the following line for pzdr:
>  pzdr Dingbats <uzdr.pfb
> (why the '<'?)
>
>> and dvipdfm.map
>
> ...also under a subdir of ~, with the following line:
>  pzdr default uzdr

Says pdfTeX and dvipdfm know the metrics is associated with uzdr.pfb.

>> Metafont and mktextfm shouldn't be used for pzdr which should refer
>> the PostScript font Zapf Dingbats or its URW clone uzdr.pfb (included
>> in TeXLive). That the log mentions mktextfm and mf indicates a
>> misconfiguration.
>
> I suspect you're right, that there's a misconfiguration.  I'm just not
> sure what to do about it, short of re-installing the whole shebang
> (which
> I recall was a rather tortuous process).

What puzzles me is that XeTeX should call xdvipdfmx which I suppose
uses dvipdfm.map. Hence there should be no problem.

I ran the minimal example just posted

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\fontfamily{pzd}\fontencoding{U}\selectfont abc
\end{document}

on my Mac, using XeTeX + xdvipdfmx, and the output is normal without
any error. Odd!

Bruno Voisin