[XeTeX] Macintosh PostScript fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 12 19:21:56 CET 2008

Le 12 févr. 08 à 16:20, Mojca Miklavec a écrit :

> The font itself is extremely weird. "ls" shows 0 bytes, but then
> Roland pointed me to the following article (How does Macintosh Store
> PostScript Fonts?):
>    http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~milanek/PostScript/Reference/FontsIx.html
> The font is "old as earth" anyway, but apparently many more (just as
> old) fonts fail the same way as this one. The font comes in two
> "flavours": Macintosh PostScript and "Windows PostScript". (I suspect
> that the latter would probably work OK.)

You can specify that it's the resource fork of the file that you're
looking for, by adding a /rsrc after its name. For example, assuming
you've got a LWFN Macintosh PostScript font file CircuReg:

$ ls -l CircuReg
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 bvoisin  wheel  0  6 jan  2005 CircuReg
$ ls -l CircuReg/rsrc
-rwxr-xr-x  1 bvoisin  wheel  115450  6 jan  2005 CircuReg/rsrc

If I remember correctly, the "@" at the end of the file authorizations
indicates it contains Mac-specific info (such as a resource fork and
creator and type metadata):

$ /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo CircuReg
file: "/Users/bvoisin/Desktop/CircuReg"
type: "LWFN"
creator: "FLDG"
attributes: avBstclinMedz
created: 01/06/2005 11:41:01
modified: 01/06/2005 11:41:01

By using t1unmac (part of TeXLive) you may convert the LWFN file to
PFB format, as in:

t1unmac -r CircuReg/rsrc CircuReg.pfb

And then open it with FontForge, for example (that won't help you for
use with XeTeX, though). There may be license issues with the
conversion, you've got to check first.

Since you're on the Mac, another way of proceeding is to convert the
binary LWFN file to ascii BinHex format, which FontForge will accept
to open. On Leopard (Mac OS 10.5), there is a binhex utility to be
used as in:

binhex encode CircuReg

On Tiger (Mac OS 10.4) and earlier, I'm not sure this binhex exists.
You can use binhex from the macutils package though <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/tools/macutils/
 > (i-Installer has an i-Package for MacUtils), as in:

binhex -r CircuReg/rsrc > CircuReg.hqx

Bruno Voisin