[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 12 14:23:01 CET 2008

Le 12 févr. 08 à 10:46, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 12.02.2008 um 07:31 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> Personally what I would try is select embedding of the 35 base fonts
>> manually.
>
> Why?
>
> This is not needed, not even for micro-typography with pdfTeX. Every
> PDF viewer has to be able to display these fonts. Downloading the
> fonts, i.e. embedding them in the PDF file created, makes it
> necessary that they are available for this job.

Which is not a problem given they are present in every TeXLive
distribution, in the form of URW clones.

Here I think it advisable to adhere to the common-sense requirement:
be lax in what you require from others, and strict in what you require
from yourself. By which I mean here: embed the fonts, even if they are
supposed to be available to the person reading the PDF file. It often
happens that fonts have different names on different systems, or small
variations (Times on the Mac being approximated by Times New Roman on
Windows, Helvetica by Arial, and so forth).

At least by embedding the fonts you guarantee that what the reader
sees is faithful to what you wrote. And the file size you gain by not
embedding the fonts is indeed negligible on modern systems.

Moreover, it is no longer true that the fonts Times, Helvetica and
Zapf Dingbats are included in PDF viewers. I don't know whether the
information may be found in the documentation of Adobe Reader, but if
you check the documentation of Acrobat 8 Professional you'll find:

Note: Acrobat 8 does not include the Times, Helvetica, and
ZapfDingbats fonts that have been included in Acrobat 5.0 and earlier.
If you want these fonts to be viewed and printed in PDFs that you
create, embed the fonts.

See either of

<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/8.0/Professional/index.html>
<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/8.0/Professional/help.pdf>

then go to: Creating PDFs > Adobe PDF conversion settings > Adobe PDF
settings > Fonts panel options.

Bruno Voisin