[XeTeX] kpathsea problem??

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Tue Feb 12 13:58:12 CET 2008

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 12.02.2008 um 07:31 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> Personally what I would try is select embedding of the 35 base fonts
>> manually.
>
> Why?
>
> This is not needed, not even for micro-typography with pdfTeX. Every
> PDF viewer has to be able to display these fonts. Downloading the
> fonts, i.e. embedding them in the PDF file created, makes it
> necessary that they are available for this job.

Adobe once recommended to embed all fonts, even the 14 standard
type 1 fonts, although they are guaranteed to be available to all
PDF viewers. Unfortunately I cannot find this web page any more.
But the following comes close to it:

<http://www.adobe.com/uk/epaper/tips/pdffonts/index.html>

Note that Zapf Dingbats are mentioned there.

Ciao
Andreas