[XeTeX] Font mapping

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Feb 12 13:55:10 CET 2008

On 12 Feb 2008, at 11:24 am, Alastair M. Paterson wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm just starting to use XeTeX (MikTex 2.7 on Windows) and am
> trying to
> get a non-Roman script file to compile.
>
> A unicode font has been installed (used fc-cache) and the text is
> produced correctly however there needs to be a mapping to convert
> 'ASCII' numbers in the text to the specific characters of the
> language.
>
> In the file is the following line:
>
> \def\regular{"Uchen_05:mapping=Latin2TibetanNums"}
>
> In the same directory as the project files, are the following two
> files:
> Latin2TibetanNums.map and Latin2TibetanNums.tec

Is this the "current directory" when xetex is run, or is the program
executed from somewhere else and finds your project files via some
kind of paths?

> However, the log file produced when the XeTeX command is issued
> produces
> the following:
> Font mapping `Latin2TibetanNums.tec' for font `Uchen_05' not found.
>
> Any suggestions as to what is happening or how to solve this would be
> greatly appreciated.

I'd normally expect .tec files to be found in the current directory,
but it depends on the path settings and I don't know how MikTeX
handles this. In TeX Live, the texmf.cnf file provides search paths
for each kind of file; font mappings are considered "MISCFONTS", and
the default path is

    MISCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/misc//

which includes "." (current directory) as the first option. But maybe
MikTeX has different paths. If "." isn't included, you'd need to
install font mappings somewhere under the fonts/misc/.... subtree of
a texmf tree (and possibly rebuild indexes -- again, I don't know how
MikTeX handles this).

Does MikTeX have something like the Web2C/TeX Live "kpsewhich"
utility, which uses the TeX search paths to find files, and can
report what paths are searched? In TL, you'd be able to say

   kpsewhich --show-path "misc fonts"

to get a list of the directories/subtrees that will be searched.
Maybe someone can tell us the MikTeX equivalent of this.