[XeTeX] Superscript in Linux Libertine

José Geraldo Gouvea jggouvea at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 02:28:56 CET 2008

Em Sunday 10 February 2008 22:31:09 Peter Dyballa escreveu:
> Am 09.02.2008 um 12:09 schrieb Till Rettig:
> > \setmainfont[Numbers=OldStyle,Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
> > %\setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
>
> Why are using that O in the font name? Does pdffonts show that Linux
> Libertine is used in the PDF file?

Well, in first place I would like to introduce myself, as I am new to the
list. I am Brazilian amateur writer and am using LaTeX since 2000. I am
migrating all my work to XeTeX for language compatibility issues. I also
maintain a website containing the things I write (from where you will soon be
able to download beautiful ebooks made with XeTeX):
http://mundosefundos.co.nr (in Portuguese only).

Now to the answer:

Linux Libertine comes in four formats: SFD (source), OTF, TTF and PFB (which I
think is deprecated, but is still used for LaTeX).

"Linux Libertine O" is the name given to the OTF version you download from the
site. Perhaps they add the O so that users can have both the OTF version and
either the TTF or the PFB. Anyway, I don't think anyone still WANTS to use
the TTF version, unless you need it for use with OpenOffice (which shamefully
still refuses to work with OpenType fonts, even at the basic level KOffice
and Gnome-Office do).