[XeTeX] Problem with Japanese font

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Feb 11 00:59:58 CET 2008

On 10 Feb 2008, at 11:47 pm, Cyril Niklaus wrote:

> On 11 févr. 08, at 07:14, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>
>> So it does. I guess it worked for Cyril because he was using xdv2pdf,
>> probably.
> Yes, I'm using xdv2pdf. That's a bit too much behind the hood for me
> probably, but what are the differences and advantages of that engine
> compared to xdvipdfmx?

Well, as we've just seen, xdv2pdf can cope with some Mac fonts that
give trouble with xdvipdfmx (but I hope to close that gap). It also
handles many more graphics formats, and a few graphic effects (such
as shadows and transparency) that are not currently implemented in
xdvipdfmx.

On the other hand, xdvipdfmx provides more consistent behavior across
platforms, and has better support for various graphics packages such
as PGF and PSTricks. It is also much faster in most cases.