[XeTeX] some xelatex problems...

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Feb 8 12:04:51 CET 2008

On 8 Feb 2008, at 10:56 am, rhomunu-list at yahoo.fr wrote:

>> If you're using TeXShop, you want to use the XeTeX-xdvipdfmx driver.
>> If you don't have it, go to
>>  ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/
>> and duplicate the "XeLaTeX.engine" file, then open it up and replace
>> the insides with
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> /usr/texbin/xelatex -output-driver="xdvipdfmx -q -E" -shell-
>> escape  "$1"
>>
>> That should be all you need...
>> Hope this helps,
>> Will
>

> This helps for 2 problems: numbering of equations, and warnings
> about font problems...

Yes, Will was exactly right. The situation with XeTeX and fontspec
and Latin Modern is somewhat in transition, until TeX Live ships and
everything gets updated together....

> But (there is always a "but"...): the "xdvipdfmx" driver does not
> render shadows. I have tried it with "transforms.tex" (xetex) and
> nothing there!

Right; the \special{x:shadow} features are specific to the xdv2pdf
driver, which uses Mac OS X's Quartz graphics engine. So those
\specials are ignored by xdvipdfmx.

It might be possible to do something with PDF \specials, but I don't
know enough about the internals of PDF to attempt that at the moment.