[XeTeX] Polyglossia and Spanish

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Feb 8 07:07:20 CET 2008

On  7 Feb, 2008, at 02:48, Yves Codet wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I would like to ask a question, out of mere ignorance, about a detail
> of Spanish formatting. A member of my family recently started
> typesetting documents in Spanish with XeTeX and I noticed that the
> first paragraph of a section is not indented. I know very little
> about Spanish myself and I had a look at a few Spanish books; I could
> see that first paragraphs are indented. Moreover according to this
> document:
>
> 	http://www.ati.es/gt/lengua-informatica/externos/tipografia.pdf
>
> "... el primer párrafo tras el título no se compone de forma
> especial. Esto último implica que, a menos que se use el nuevo
> spanish, conviene cargar el paquete indentfirst."

Javier Bezos had to make a lot of compromises not only between
different Spanish-speaking countries, but mainly between different
norms of the publishing houses ---for example, in the same country
(Mexico, e.g.) some publishing houses call Contents ``Contenido'',
others ``Índice'' and others ``Índice general'' (his choice); the
Index is called ``Índice analítico'' or ``Índice de materias'' or
``Índice alfabético'' (his choice); table is either ``tabla'' or
``cuadro'' (his choice), etc., etc.

One decision he had to make was about indenting or not the first
paragraph after a title.

See

http://www.texytipografia.com/spanish2.html

http://www.texytipografia.com/archive/spanish.pdf