[XeTeX] Conflict between xunicode and fontspec?

Ulrike Fischer news2 at nililand.de
Thu Feb 7 16:47:21 CET 2008

Am Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:43:09 +0100 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 07.02.2008 um 14:14 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage[ansinew]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \begin{document}
>> T1: été, goût %copies fine
>>
>> \fontencoding{OT1}\selectfont
>> OT1: été, goût %copies badly
>>
>> \end{document}
>
> It's not that, and it's also not using the cmap package – in Mac OS
> X the characters, when copied, are inserted only in decomposed
> fashion. Even when I open old files!

I would say this is a misunderstanding: The above example was meant for
pdfLaTeX not for XeLaTeX.

There inputenc maps the û to a command (\^{u}), and t1enc.def then maps
it to char position 251, which in turn is mapped by the cmsuper fonts to
the glyph "ugrave" which can be copied without problems.

An example for XeLaTeX would be:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}

\begin{document}
\^{u} % copies badly

\fontencoding{T1}\selectfont
\^{u} % copies fine
\end{document}

So the problem is not the input but the output encoding: the default
encoding eu1 from fontspec doesn't contain the necessary commands to map
the commands like \^{u} to the correct single glyph "ugrave".

> The change has come ... from this in the source Ḃạȳḵ
> ÝŶŸƳÝẎỴỲỶȲɎỸ ǵğǧģĝġʛɠḡǥɢɡ to that from
> PDF: Ḃạȳḵ ÝŶŸ￿ÝẎỴỲỶȲ￿Ỹ
> ǵğǧģĝġ￿￿ḡ￿￿￿! Fontspec only used with Monaco.

?? Not quite sure what this should mean.

--
Ulrike Fischer