[XeTeX] Identity-H encoding ExternalLocation xdvipdfmx

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Feb 6 20:30:11 CET 2008

On 6 Feb 2008, at 12:43 pm, Volker Jordan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is is possible to use another encoding for fonts that have been loaded
> with fontspec and ExternalLocation ?
>
> xdvpdfmx always uses Identity-H, which causes problems while
> printing on
> old postscript printers.

To support anything else, someone would have to extend xdvipdfmx to
map from glyph codes (which xetex generates) back to characters in
some known encoding -- assuming there is one that supports all the
glyphs used in a particular document, which isn't always the case
when using complex OpenType fonts -- and then write the PDF using
that encoding instead of Identity.

IOW, there's not currently any way to do this; it would require
programming work.

Is it possible to post-process the PDF and turn it into Level 1
PostScript or something? Maybe Ghostscript could do this. Would that
help with your font problems? (I haven't ever encountered such issues
myself, so don't know much about it.)