[XeTeX] Mac Text Editor

Pavel Stranak stranak at ufal.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Feb 6 16:23:26 CET 2008

On 6.2.2008, at 14:47, Pete Dyballa wrote:

> Am 06.02.2008 um 12:56 schrieb Will Robertson:
>
>> Or TextEdit for those that like mouses :)
>>  open -e ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/XeLaTeXx.engine
>
> The latter does not guarantee that TextEdit is used. You can set
> another application to handle "engine" files.
>
> Besides this issue of uncertainty, also for the encoding in which
> the file might be saved (if the last line does not have a final LINE
> FEED character as with some Mac encoding, this last line, i.e. the
> whole shell script will not execute), you can't use TextEdit or any
> other Mac OS X application to modify any file owned by the root or
> super-user inside the TeX distribution.
Well, I think this is not true. You can edit files owned by root with
GUI editors like TextWrangler, Smultron, BBEdit, TextMate and many
others, even with TextEdit. These GUI editors only prompt for admin
password while saving.

> If people are not willing to learn vi or vim or GNU Emacs, they
> should at least know that nano and pico exist for simple tasks like
> the one I described this morning. And that they are quite easy to
> use in Terminal.
I agree that it is useful to know command line editors, but "quite
easy" is very relative. So I am just saying there are really user
friendly and free Cocoa plain text editors that are much more
comfortable for those, who do not like a command line. They are also
much more capable than pico or nano.

Pavel