[XeTeX] Hyphenation in Swedish

Jonathan Johnsson jonathanjohnsson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:43:37 CET 2008

>>> I wonder how I should go about to make the Swedish hyphenation work
>>> using xetex, and if there are instructions somewhere how to create a
>>> xetex-friendly hyphenation file from the existing file, if that is
>>> necessary.
>
>> Therefore, all you need to do is enable Swedish in the (Xe)LaTeX
>> language configuration file and regenerate the xelatex.fmt format.
>> With TeX Live, this would be done by modifying language.dat (e.g.,
>> using the texconfig utility), but I don't know how MikTeX handles
>> these things.
>
>One only needs to check swedish in the language tab of miktex settings
>and then rebuilds the formats (if the format should be build everytime
>the "update formats" button is use, one should change in the formats tab
>the attribute for the xelatex format from "exclude" to empty first.)
>

>--
>Ulrike Fischer

Thanks Jonathan and Ulrike! Ulrike's suggestion works for me, but I
needed to remove the exclude flag from xelatex in the formats section
for rebuild to occur. I also learned a lot while using Jonathan's
information (before seeing Ulrike's answer), such as how to regenerate
formats for miktex from the command line (initexmf --dump, apparently
not working for my case due to the exclusion just mentioned), and that
removing the file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.7\miktex\fmt\xetex\xelatex.fmt forced a regeneration of
that file for the next run of xelatex (with my addition of Swedish in
language.dat).

Anyway, it all works well now. Thanks again.

Best regards, Jonathan Johnsson

PS. I'm new to mailing lists, my apologies if I don't reply to this in
the correct way (sending it to xetex at tug.org).