[XeTeX] Hyphenation in Swedish

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Feb 6 12:22:17 CET 2008

On 6 Feb 2008, at 10:57 am, Jonathan Johnsson wrote:

> Hi all! I have a problem with hyphenation in Swedish. I get the
> following messages when compiling using xelatex (running latest
> updated miktex 2.7):
>
> Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang,
> nohyphenation, ge
> rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
>
> Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
> (babel)                the language `Swedish'
> (babel)                I will use the patterns loaded for
> \language=0 instead.
>
> I can see that there is a file for hyphenation in C:\Program
> Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\generic\hyphen\svhyph.tex, but there is no file
> in C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\generic\xu-hyphen. My guess is that
> the latter contains xetex-adapted hyphenation files, but my googling
> skills has not brought much clarity into this matter.
>
> I wonder how I should go about to make the Swedish hyphenation work
> using xetex, and if there are instructions somewhere how to create a
> xetex-friendly hyphenation file from the existing file, if that is
> necessary.

Assuming this is the same svhyph.tex as is found in TeX Live, it is
already compatible with xetex; no "xu-hyphen" adaptor is needed.

Therefore, all you need to do is enable Swedish in the (Xe)LaTeX
language configuration file and regenerate the xelatex.fmt format.
With TeX Live, this would be done by modifying language.dat (e.g.,
using the texconfig utility), but I don't know how MikTeX handles
these things.