[XeTeX] Conflict between xunicode and fontspec?

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Wed Feb 6 09:09:38 CET 2008

Julien Élie and Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> <JE>
>> Well, I have just tried polyglossia:
>>
>> <...>
>>
>> Accents are good but I do not have the right spaces before "!"...
>> The first one is an unbreakable space and the second one is a normal
>> space.  And the result is that I have *two* spaces for the first one
>>
> <JK>
> This sounds like polyglossia doesn't recognize the non-breaking space
> as a "space", and so adds space of its own; I expect François can
> update this.

Sure, this should not be too difficult. I will look into this next
week-end.

>> and different kinds of *one* space for the others.
>
> In the case of "test!", I think polyglossia is providing a \kern of a
> certain width. Presumably "test !" and "test~!" simply give you the
> standard space, which may not be the same.

Indeed. I have not yet considered cases like "test !" and "test~!".
Currently polyglossia expects the input to be "test!" and inserts the
appropriate kerning, just as it was done in antomega by means of OTPs.

>> It is not good at all...

Bonjour Julien. Please bear with me! Polyglossia is only a few weeks old
and has not even reached "alpha status"! I make the development version
available on the svn server (and as a snapshot on mine) so that people
like you can test it and point out bugs and omissions. Patches are of
course most than welcome ;-)
And thanks for your "bug report" of course.

> If there are language-specific issues like space before footnotes
> that polyglossia doesn't yet handle, I hope François will consider
> adding support for these;

At this stage only "basic" language-specific features are implemented. I
have yet to look into more details at the "Pro" version of French
support in Babel. I am prepared to make polyglossia eventually as
feature-rich as Babel (or rather more so!), but in some cases this will
take some time.

> I think this is a much better way forward
> than trying to use combinations of old stuff (built for legacy byte
> encodings and fonts) and the new Unicode mechanisms.

I can only agree with that!

FC