[XeTeX] XeTeX and PDF Forms

mike leonard mikeleonard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 03:25:25 CET 2008

On 2/5/08, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2008, at 6:13 pm, mike leonard wrote:
>
> > On 2/5/08, Andreas Matthias <amat at kabsi.at> wrote:
>
> >> Hyperref does support forms:
> >>
> >> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
> >> \usepackage{hyperref}
> >> \begin{document}
> >> \begin{Form}
> >> foobar: \TextField[name=foobar]{}
> >> \end{Form}
> >> \end{document}
>
> > I had stumbled on this tutorial before I posted my question initially
> > and tried the same thing you suggest here, but I couldn't produce a
> > working form. The text labels showed up OK, but there were no form
> > fields.
>
> I just tried this and it worked OK for me; the form field appears and
> Acrobat Reader lets me type into it (but not save the completed form
> -- though I can print it, including "print to PDF").
>
> Are you running on Mac OS X, and using xetex 0.996 (or even earlier)?

Yes.

> If so, you'll need to explicitly specify the xdvipdfmx output driver
> (via a TeXShop engine file, a command-line option, or similar,
> depending on the environment you're using). The default xdv2pdf
> driver will not support forms, I'm sure.

That did the trick. Thanks so much. I probably never would have
figured this out on my own. I love what TeX allows me to do, but I
don't know too much about what's going on under the hood.

Does anyone know how to specify xdvipdfmx in the TeXShop engine file?
This is what it looks like:

#!/bin/tcsh

set path= ($path /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
/usr/local/bin)
xelatex  "$1"

but I'm not sure what to change.

Thanks again,