[XeTeX] Xe(La)TeX and beamer movie and/or sound

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Mon Feb 4 19:37:43 CET 2008

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2008, at 5:26 pm, Rembrandt Wolpert wrote:
>>
>> under pdflatex I could (and still can) include a movie on my beamer
>> slides; with XeLaTeX there are no complaints during compilation,
>> but the movie (in my case: sound) is not recognised in the viewer
>> application (Acrobat Reader). Since I am using Chinese in the
>> slides, pdflatex isn't a fall-back choice.
>>
>> Any help/hints would be most appreciated.
>

> This would depend on whether movies can be embedded by the xdvipdfmx
> driver; I'm not aware of any support for this (but the place to look
> would be the DVIPDFMx documentation, as that's where most of the
> \special support comes from).

http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/doc/tug2005.pdf includes the
following example on page 17:

\vbox to 180bp{\vss\hbox{\hss
  \special{pdf:ann width 360bp height 180bp
    <</Subtype /Movie /Border [1 0 0] /T (movie dummy)
      /Movie <</F (trinity.avi) /Aspect [720 358]
        /Poster true>>
      /A <</ShowControls false>> >>}\hss}}

> Maybe others have experimented with this.... I know the topic has
> come up previously, but don't recall any conclusions.

I want to implement support for dvipdfm(x) in movie15. This is on my
ToDo list, but I'm afraid that I don't have time that now.

I hope it helps,

Pablo