[XeTeX] \XeTeXpicfile regression in XeTeX?

Tim Eyre ティム mail at nihilist.org.uk
Mon Feb 4 09:39:28 CET 2008

I am running w32tex. Last night I downloaded the latest version of
XeTeX from the w32tex site.

With version 3.141592-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6) of XeTeX, \XeTeXpicfile used
the DPI defined for a .JPG file when determining the size of the image
as it appears on the page. In particular, my 129dpi images displayed
at the correct size. I am using 129dpi because that is the resolution
of my monitor.

However, with version 3.141592-0.996-patch1 (Web2C 7.5.6) as
downloaded from the w32tex site yesterday, XeTeX sets the images on
the page much bigger than in the earlier version of XeTeX. A bit of
experimentation with the scale parameter to \XeTeXpicfile suggests
that the latest XeTeX is now rendering the image at 72dpi.

Interestingly, both versions of XeTeX get the measurements of the box
correct when I do

\setbox0=\hbox{\XeTeXpicfile "foo.jpg"}
\the\wd0 \the\ht0

So it seems XeTeX knows how big the box should be but is rendering the
image incorrectly.

Googling around I see that XeTeX version 0.87 fixed a bug with scaling
non-72dpi images. Could it be that this bug has come back? Or could
this problem be specific to the Win32 port? I am running on Windows XP
SP2.

The same behaviour occurs with the "dev" version of XeTeX available on
the w32tex site - 3.141592-2.2-0.997 (Web2C 7.5.6).

If you need any more diagnostics please let me know.

TIm