[XeTeX] help with hyphenation

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Sat Feb 2 20:35:10 CET 2008

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>>                           I'd argue that displaying the Unicode
>> discretionary hyphens mid-line is not Unicode-compliant.
>>
>   This is a rather moot point, though, in my opinion: many things TeX
> users do are not Unicode-compliant
But old TeX conventions have little to do with Unicode. There is no
Unicode-based TeX markup, all TeX markup is ASCII + perhaps some 8-bit
characters.

I believe that Unicode characters in XeTeX should be treated "the
Unicode way", including things like U+200D (zero-width joiner), U+200C
(zero-width non-joiner), U+200F (RTL mark), all the U+20xx spaces and
dashes.

A.

--

Adam Twardoch