[XeTeX] help with hyphenation

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sat Feb 2 19:43:49 CET 2008

> I encourage you to do so.

  I could not agree more.  To me, the discretionary hyphen \- is the
exact TeX equivalent of Unicode SOFT HYPHEN, and it seems very natural to
treat them as such.

>                           I'd argue that displaying the Unicode
> discretionary hyphens mid-line is not Unicode-compliant.

  This is a rather moot point, though, in my opinion: many things TeX
users do are not Unicode-compliant (in a much worse way), and in general
I trust they will be used to seeing much more markup than what really
gets displayed in the output.

  But back to the original question, I really think treating U+00AD as
equivalent to a discretionary hyphen is the Right Thing to do.

	Arthur