[XeTeX] help with hyphenation

ashinpan at gmail.com ashinpan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 18:45:39 CET 2008

Hi! all

I having been using XeTex as part of TexLive 2007 on Ubuntu (Gutsy
Gibbon). My documents are mainly in English but Pali and Sanskrit are
often embedded in them.

The problem I am facing is some words are getting randomly hyphenated
before linebreaks. I tried to change the language to Welsh, of which I
have no language file, to force manual hyphenation but no use. Again I
tried to remove the package Babel, but the problem still persists.

Below is the tex source that I use. I have also attached a PDF file
that XeTex produces on my machine from that source. In that PDF file,
I see the following unnatural mid-line hyphenations, provided together
with respective line numbers:

design-ing (1)
ope­-rat-­ing (2)
pro-ducts (5)
fly-ing (6)
pos-sesses (8)
under-stand(9)
mak-ing (18)
natu-ral (32)

I hope someone would kindly help me out.

Ven. Pandita

The Tex Source ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

\documentclass[11pt,welsh]{scrbook}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{verbose,paperwidth=6in,paperheight=9in,tmargin=63pt,bmargin=36pt,lmargin=54pt,rmargin=36pt,headheight=15pt,headsep=18pt,footskip=36pt}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\pagestyle{fancy}
\usepackage{jurabib}[2004/01/25]

\makeatletter
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% User specified LaTeX commands.
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Charis SIL}
\setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Tahoma}
\setmonofont[Mapping=tex-text]{FreeMono}
\usepackage{lineno}
\linenumbers
\let\ps at plain = \ps at empty
\fancyhead{}
\fancyfoot{}
\rhead{Pandita \   \thepage}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0.1pt}
\setlength{\parindent}{20pt}
\deffootnote{1em}{1em}{\thefootnotemark .\ }
\date{}
\makeatother

\begin{document}

\begin{quote}
In design­ing to accommodate visibility, each function and the method
of ope­rat­ing it would be apparent (to most people in the culture for
which it is intended) by merely looking at it. (Raskin ch. 3.4)
\end{quote}
Raskin's standard of visibility may not be applicable to certain
pro­ducts which absolutely require instruction or training (E.g.
fly­ing an aeroplane). But whitespace does have the kind of visibility
he prefers. It not only makes word boundaries visible but also
pos­sesses visibility in itself, i. e., readers need no instruction to
under­stand and make use of its function. Why? Because it is already a
part of the reader model; at the time most readers come to meet
Romanized Pali texts, they have already been familiar with English
and/or other modern European
languages, which use whitespace for the same function. When they meet
it again in Pali texts, they would be tempted to treat it similarly
only to succeed. This is a typical case of {}``a system behaving
exactly as users thought it would\char`\"{}.

On the contrary, word boundaries in manuscripts are not visible,
mak­ing it harder to read.

\subsection{Whitespace provides good mappings }

Mapping is {}``a relationship between controls and their movements or
effects\char`\"{} (Lidwell, et al. 128) and, in the case of texts,
punctuation and whitespace are controls that readers use for guidance
through a text being read. But how should we define a good mapping?

\begin{quote}
Good mapping is primarily a function of similarity of layout,
behavior, or meaning. When the layout of stovetop controls corresponds
to the layout of burners, this is similarity of layout; when turning a
steering wheel left turns the car left, this is similarity of
behavior; when an emergency shut-off button is colored red, this is
similarity of meaning (e. g., most people associate red with stop)
(ibid)
\end{quote}

In modern Pali texts, whitespace maps to a word boundary while a
continuous string of text maps to a word. Those mappings are natu­ral
in the sense that they are similar in layout to those in modern
European language texts, which readers are already familiar with, and
consequently which they can readily understand.

On the contrary, manuscripts provide no useful mappings at all.

\end{document}