[XeTeX] c.t.t. post re: \mag

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Feb 1 12:42:08 CET 2008

On 11 Jan 2008, at 12:03 pm, Andreas Matthias wrote:

> Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> In case you don't monitor comp.text.tex for posts about XeTeX,
>> Ulrike  Fischer has seemed to uncover a bit of a problem with the
>> \mag  command in XeTeX:
>>   <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/0e433ab85cd02250>
>
> This really looks rather odd.
>
> I just checkout up-to-date SVN version (XeTeX revision 547;
> xdvipdfmx revision 103) and did some test with it.
>

> \mag=2000
> \pdfpagewidth=100truemm
> \pdfpageheight=200truemm
> 100truemm x 200truemm\vfill\eject
>
> \pdfpagewidth=100mm
> \pdfpageheight=200mm
> 100mm x 200mm\vfill\eject
>
> \special{pdf:pagesize width 333mm height 222mm}
> 333mm x 222mm\vfill\eject
>
> \special{papersize=333mm,222mm}
> 333mm x 222mm\vfill\eject
> \bye
>

> This plain TeX code creates pages with the following sizes:
>
> page 1: 200x400 mm
> page 2: 400x800 mm
> page 3: 666x444 mm
> page 4: 333x222 mm
>
> Hmm. Should be a bug, shouldn't it?

Two bugs, actually; xetex was incorrectly scaling the \pdfpagewidth
and height values when generating its xdv output, and xdvipdfmx was
handling the \specials inconsistently.

I have just checked in corrections to both xetex and xdvipdfmx, and I
believe this stuff is now working correctly. Your test (above) now
gives page sizes of

   page 1: 100x200 mm
   page 2: 200x400 mm
   page 3: 666x444 mm
   page 4: 666x444 mm

If I add a couple more pages with

   \special{pdf:pagesize width 333truemm height 222truemm}

and

   \special{papersize=333truemm,222truemm}

these both result in pages that are 333x222 mm.

I'd appreciate any additional feedback based on the latest code from
svn, so we can resolve any further issues in this area. Thanks!