[XeTeX] polyglossia on svn repo

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Fri Feb 1 11:47:38 CET 2008

Bonjour Yves,

> I've just tried the new Sanskrit module of Polyglossia with the
> attached file. I noticed three problems:
> - The Sanskrit font defined in the preamble is not automatically
> loaded if I write
>     \newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit}#1\end{sanskrit}}}
> on the ninth line. Hence I wrote:
>     \newcommand{\skt}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit}\sanskritfont#1\end{sanskrit}}}
Ok. I have fixed that. See attachment!
> - Sanskrit hyphenation patterns are not used, as can be seen on the PDF.
As you noticed yourself in the following message, you have to write
> \setotherlanguage{sanskrit}
But then there is this error you also reported:

> !LaTeX Error: Command \sanskrit already defined.
This is simply because your own file sanhyph.tex contains the line
    \newlanguage\sanskrit
which makes it incompatible with polyglossia when it tries to define the
environment "sanskrit".
But if you comment the above line as well as the one with
    \language\sanskrit
and create xelatex.fmt again, then everything works (I have tested it
with Arial Unicode MS: see attachment).

BTW here is the diff between your original sanhyph.tex and my
modification sanhyph2.tex:
18a19
 > \begingroup
124c125
< \newlanguage\sanskrit
---
 > %\newlanguage\sanskrit
127,128c128,129
< \begingroup
< \language\sanskrit
---
 > %\begingroup
 > %\language\sanskrit

> - There is an unwanted digit 1 at the beginning of the Sanskrit text.
I can't reproduce that.

Salutations,
François