[XeTeX] How to select a condensed font

Francisco Chaves pachopepe at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 14:09:57 CET 2008

I have the URW fonts installed and I can select the regular font with:
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L}
\setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L}

With the "NimbusSanLCon" I obtain the following error:

*******************************
makemf: The NimbusSanLCon source file could not be found.
Running hbf2gf...

hbf2gf (CJK ver. 4.8.0)

Couldn't find `NimbusSanLC.cfg'
maketfm: No creation rule for font NimbusSanLCon.

! Font \zf at basefont=NimbusSanLCon at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or
installed font not found.
\zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
                                                  \unless \ifzf at icu \zf at set@...
l.15 \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{NimbusSanLCon}
*******************************

the fc-list gives me the following names for the font:
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Condensed
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Condensed Italic
Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Condensed
Nimbus Sans L:style=Bold Condensed Italic

Francisco

> On my computer, \setmainfont{Mapping=tex-text]{NimbusSanLCon} works (I have
> the URW fonts).
>
> Andrew
>

>> Hi all
>>
>> I want to use the Nimbus Sans L in the condensed series, I tryed many
>> ways without success :(
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>     Francisco
>>

>> % 1st try
>> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L Condensed}
>> \setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L Condensed}
>>
>> % 2nd try with the fc-list name
>> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Condensed}
>> \setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular Condensed}
>>
>> % 3rd try
>> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L:style=Condensed}
>> \setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L:style=Condensed}
>>
>> % 4th try
>> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L:series=Condensed}
>> \setsansfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Nimbus Sans L:series=Condensed}

Francisco Jose CHAVES
PhD. en Informatique
ENS Lyon, France