[XeTeX] fontspec's "LetterSpace" and inter-word space

Florian Grammel florian.grammel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:47:35 CET 2008

As our house-font doesn't have OT-features, I use fontspec's
LetterSpace-option to slighly letterspace all-caps passages.
Fontspec obviously enlarges inter-word spaces by the same amount as
spacing between the single letters. I just think that it looks as if
the words "stick together" when spaced this way -- especially longer
all-caps passages (e.g. in headers) tend to become difficult to read
Therefor I'd like to increase the interword-space a bit more than the
inter-char space. Is there a possibility to do this with fontspec or
directly in XeTeX?

Best regards,
Florian.

\documentclass{scrbook}
\usepackage{fontspec}

\setromanfont{Garamond}

\begin{document}

{\centering
WORD WORD WORD WORD\\
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=5}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=10}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=15}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=20}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=25}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=30}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=35}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=40}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=45}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=50}{WORD WORD WORD WORD\\}
}

\noindent\addfontfeature{LetterSpace=15}{A LONGISH TITLE OR LINE IN
ALL-CAPS CAN BE HARD TO READ\\}

\end{document}